Sat, Apr 01|
Sententia Vera Cultural Hub
[Austin, TX, USA] Expressive Portrait Drawing with Zin Lim
Fun, wild, exclusive event for a unique approach!
Time & Location
Apr 01, 2023, 3:00 PM CDT – Apr 02, 2023, 4:00 PM CDT
Sententia Vera Cultural Hub, 4002 US-290, Dripping Springs, TX 78620, USA
About The Event
[EXPRESSIVE PORTRAIT DRAWING]
[Who should attend?]
- If you are an artist who is thinking your drawing is too tight and want to try something different.
- If you are an artist who likes to draw wild but needs clear direction for the completion of unique artwork.
- If you are an artist who has been drawing heads (or portraits).
[What you will learn?]
Shifting your drawing from 'realistic' to 'expressive' is as hard as classic pianists playing jazz because it requires different brain work and body rhythm. After this workshop, you will understand that as a composer, you feel more freedom in making accidental marks on paper and enjoy the entire process much more than academic drawing approaches.
In our experiences at previous workshops in 50+ global cities, -
- For about 50% of students, this workshop will strengthen their current work by using better strategies in design and progress.
- For about 25% of students, this workshop will be a turning point for switching their drawing direction to 'expressive' and building a unique drawing style.
[Day 1] Charcoal Drawing Basic.
- Suitable for beginners in the charcoal medium.
- April 1st, 2023. 3 pm - 6 pm.
- Location: Sententia Vera Cultural Hub (Address: 4002 US Highway 290, Dripping Springs, TX 78620)
- In case the location can be changed, you will receive a notification email.
The instructor will introduce the charcoal drawing medium and expressive techniques in lectures and demonstrations. You will understand the expressive way of using charcoal, such as the maximum fluidity of the dry medium. You will have multiple warming-up sessions in drawing simple shapes and forms in order to get used to the basic techniques for human head drawing.
[Day 2] Expressive Head Drawing.
- Good for students who have experience in charcoal drawing or have taken [Day 1] or a similar or more advanced course.
- April 2nd, 2023. 10 am - 4:30 pm.
- Location: TBA (We are working on booking a venue in downtown Austin or near.)
In lectures, presentations, demonstrations, and critiques the instructor will introduce the 'expressive' approach in the head (portrait) drawing. Day 2 contents will cover the following.
- Learn the differences between the 'classic' and the 'expressive' approaches in a drawing.
- Learn about the different mindsets and techniques for expressive drawing.
- Understanding visual elements and their efficient usage in order for creating good artwork.
- How to build a portrait drawing structure with interesting charcoal strokes.
- Value Pattern Design and Basic Composition.
- Create your unique portrait drawing from reference photos provided or your own.
- Review of students' works. (If you have 1-2 drawings you want the instructor to see, email the images to firstname.lastname@example.org by a week prior to the workshop. The instructor will present them for feedback.)
- Full-time: $460 (Day 1 and Day 2. with Spot Priority. VAT, tax, and fees are included.)
- Day 1 only: $160 (for charcoal drawing beginners. VAT, tax, fee, and the second day of lunch included.)
- Day 2 only: $340 (for students who have taken the instructor's portrait drawing workshop before. VAT, tax, fee, and the second day of lunch included.)
- Early bird discount price is available now at checkout.
- 100% refundable for your cancellation by 2 weeks prior to the event.
- 100% refundable for cancellation by the host.
- 50% refundable for your cancellation by a week prior to the event.
- No refundable for your cancellation within a week before the event starts.
- You can hand over this ticket to other people for all or any day of the event. (Your friend must present your event ticket in print or digital)
- The workshop hours can be adjusted by the building hours of the local venue. If the case happens (though it's rare), you will receive the notification by email you enter.
Drawing Pad: Strathmore, 300 series, 18x24 inch, medium surface. Link
- If you don't find the 300 series, the 400 series (medium surface) is fine.
- If you don't find an 18x24 inch pad, 14x17 inch is fine.
- If you don't find a 'Drawing' pad, a 'Charcoal' pad is fine.
- No 'New Sprint', 'Bristol' or 'Smooth surface', They don't work well with charcoal sticks.
Willow Charcoal: 1 thick and 1 thin stick. (General, Cortes, Winsor Newton, or any brand)
Charcoal Pencil: 'General' charcoal pencil (HB). Link. If you don't find a 'General' brand, just bring a vine charcoal (hard or medium) stick. Or no pencil is fine.
Kneaded eraser: link
(Optional) Blending stump: link
(Optional) Utility Knife: for sharpening a pencil.
(Optional) Sandpaper: link. for sharpening pencil and vine charcoal sticks.
(Optional) Drawing board: any wooden, plastic, or thick paper board for backing the drawing pad.
(Optional) Workable Fixative: to preserve your drawing for your portfolio.
(Optional) Portable easel. (No easel is fine, too. You can put a drawing pad on the table.)
- You can find charcoal drawing and oil painting material lists on the Q&A page.
Welcome any questions to email@example.com
We are looking forward to meeting you soon!!!
Full time (Day 1 & 2)
This ticket includes your participation for both days.From $414.00 to $460.00
Day 1From $144.00 to $160.00
This ticket is for your participation on April 2nd, 2023.From $310.00 to $340.00